Tuesday, February 26, 2008





Well I have literally reached the end of this road, but there is no brick wall, or a cliff for Thelma and Louise to catapult themselves from, at the end is this great big beautiful world. A world many of us choose to live in, compartmentalized, as it becomes smaller, and we all become more accessible in the global since. Nowadays We have skype, ichat, text messaging, and the BLOG. The world is as close as my index finger and my monthly access charges allow it to be. But somehow as we all become more within reach of one another, this chasm increases. We disconnect more on a human level. We allow CNN, and our misconceptions to inform us about the world and in doing that we cheat ourselves, oh so much. It took me traveling the world to remind myself how important we all are to each other, how beautiful people can be. People make life rich, not more ring tones or new shinny things. That richness comes from our interactions with one another, that face-to-face, that hand shake, that embrace. I went around the world and became closer to myself, but it wasn’t the frequent flyer miles that did it; it was all those wonderful people with their rich culture and welcoming smiles. It was good old-fashioned human contact. So what do you do if you don’t have an opportunity to travel the globe, and experience all of that wonderfulness? You take risk! If I just gave more airtime to the Pakistani brother who runs the corner deli, the Moroccan man at the check cashing place, or when I go to the Mexican restaurant to order food if I just took a moment to try and get to know the people behind the counter, I could have a richer human experience right around the corner from where I live. Like I said wonderfulness is in the people, the places we go to are special because of their smiles, their heart and in some cases their pain. We reap the benefits of life when we take risk, when we challange ourselves, when we trust. Don't get me wrong, this is not coming from some naive twenty-year old who hasn't lived. Risk are risky, and yes, your liable to get disappointed or hurt in the process, but don't be no punk. When that brick wall you have so skillfully built around you all these years tells all who approach, to proceed with caution, tear down the wall and take a chance. Real human contact, what a concept!

No comments: