Saturday, January 26, 2008

New York to Morocco






I left behind the familiar for adventure, the skyline for the airline, the love of my life, for the love of Moroccan children. Although they are not cheering for us (it's a photo op). Here's some trivia for your ass. Where was the character Radio Raheim in Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing" fashioned after? The answer is our guide, Abdelkirim, at least that's what he told us. He used to be a professor at Duke University, and was at Rutgers when he met Spike Lee. AbdelKirim brought us to the Sidi Moumen "Cultural Center where we had the pleasure of jamming with Gawa fusion, a home grown Moroccan band, who played congas, jembe drums and an array of other percussion instruments. As quite as it's kept music is an emotion, and these boys were feeling it. After the jam we went to buy cell phone and sim cards. I was told I would need to have my phone rigged on the black market in order to bypass Tmobile. Before we came we were instructed to not eat raw vegetables, but we did. Day 1, we ain't get sick yet. See you tomorrow, unless I'm sick.


Peace,
Gamal

No comments: